Sports Medicine Tip of the Month
Here are some important reminders of what to do if you or a teammate ever experiences a complete avulsion of a permanent tooth:
- Gently rinse tooth with saline or sterile water to remove debris
- Remove blood clot from tooth socket in mouth
- Place the tooth back into the socket
- Store tooth in whole milk, saliva, or sterile saline if it will not fit in socket
- Call a dentist immediately as best replantation results occur within first 30 minutes-1 hour. Results of successful replantation are poor if done after 2 hours
Weight Loss Tips
Summer is quickly approaching. Many women and men are looking to lose weight for better health, or to fit into those summer and beach clothes. Here are some important tips for successfully losing weight and keeping it off for good!
- Set realistic goals of losing 1-2 pounds per week. Don’t try to lose weight too fast. Losing more than 2 pounds per week can often result in loss of muscle tissue and water weight, not fat weight!
- GRADUALLY make changes. A healthy lifestyle comes from learning how to eat a healthful diet week after week, not by binge dieting or fad diets
- Take your time eating. People who eat slowly generally eat fewer calories. Plan on eating your big meals for at least 20 minutes.
- Plan on eating at least every 3-4 hours during the day. Eat healthy snacks in between each big meal. This keeps your metabolism high and body well fueled. It also helps prevent “starvation feeling” that makes junk food more appealing to the appetite.
- Keep supportive people around you! Weight loss requires lots of support and encouragement.